The traditional Japanese craft and technique of Kumiko is explored in this Kumiko Course. The course introduces the concept of Kumiko and its history. Kumiko has its origins in Japan and is used in homes and furniture. Video segments guide you through the creation of a Kumiko panel. The asa-no-ha pattern or motif is featured in the course, a common pattern. The course is composed of seven video segments, a Kumiko article from my recent book, and plans for (2) guide blocks. The guide blocks are an important tool in the creation of Kumiko panels. Each step in the process of creating a panel is covered from preparing a rough blank to final assembly. Many techniques and best practices are covered in the course.
The Kumiko panels in this course are created using several hand tools although some machinery is used in initial wood preparation. Hand tools consist of a wide chisel, a smoother plane and block plane. Follow me as I describe the steps involved in creating a striking Kumiko panel you can incorporate in a piece of furniture, wall panel, or Shoji screen.
The following topics are covered in this 7 part Kumiko course:
1. Intro and history of Kumiko
2. Overview of components of a Kumiko panel
3. Wood preparation of Kumiko components
4. Detailed video of Kumiko creation process
5. Detailed video of creating (2) guide blocks
6. Techniques to simplify Kumiko making
7. Incorporating a Kumiko panel in furniture
Tips and techniques acquired over months of creating Kumiko panels are shared in this course. You will be comfortable at tackling your first Kumiko panel after this course. All steps are covered in great detail.
Includes 7 separate video modules. Each video module addresses a component of the Kumiko process. Detailed video sequences and methodology on how to create Kumiko panels are included in the Kumiko course.
– includes 7 videos and guide block plans
– Detailed CAD drawings included
– Video modules can be followed in any order.
– Videos can be stopped, repeated any time
– Kumiko article included
– All 7 video modules (1.8 hours) included in one-time $40 price
Larry Broadbent says "I purchase a lot of woodworking plans and woodworking books online. I just purchased this Kumiko Course today. I'm extremely impressed with the quality of the PDF's and videos in this course. I definitely recommend this Kumiko course to anyone wanting to get started in the woodworking art of Japanese Kumiko."
$18 value with purchase of online courses