Cabinet Build Class
Cabinet Build Class
In this video class, the design and build of the striking Krenov-inspired display cabinet seen above is discussed. The contemporary styled display cabinet features veneered sides and doors. The veneers selected are highly figured although they can be substituted with alternative veneers. The frame and panel back adheres to the Krenov principle of properly finishing the back of the cabinet. James Krenov is widely known for his classic cabinets on stand as well as the incredible attention to detail he brought to furniture making. Krenov also brought a unique philosophy and vision to furniture making of which I heed and practice. A large part of this veneered display cabinet has been created using an assortment of hand tools although some machinery is used in the initial wood preparation stage. Follow me as I describe the steps involved in creating a masterpiece veneered cabinet on stand.
The following topics are covered in this 16 part design and build class:
1. Inspiration and design of the display cabinet
2. Overview discussing components of cabinet
3. Wood selection and resawing veneers used in cabinet
4. The advantages of using veneers over solid wood
5. Detailed information on creating and using resawn veneers
6. The process of applying veneers to the sides and doors
7. Implement bake-ins to create panels with hardwood edges
8. Hardwood edging and the veneer press
9. The veneer press and joinery used in the cabinet
10. Card scrapers and the use of a shop-made drilling guide
11. Dowel drilling guide in-depth
12. The case construction process
13. Frame and panel construction of the back panel
14. Back panel detail and installation
15. Final case assembly of the display cabinet
16. Installation process of knife hinges for the doors
Each video segment addresses one aspect of the cabinet build. The design process as well as the methodology behind the build are addresses. This is not simply a class on how to build a cabinet on stand. The class will inform you of a similar design process that James Krenov used in his own work. Since I am an ardent follower of James Krenov, the practices I use in this cabinet build closely follow those of James Krenov. Discussions and demonstrations describe how the design of this display cabinet originated and the design considerations in its build. Information on wood selection and preparation as well as the joinery used in this cabinet is covered in detail. Tips and techniques acquired over several years of creating this style of cabinet are shared in this class. The process of creating and applying veneers is covered as well as information on installation of knife hinges.
Includes 16 separate video modules. Each video module addresses a component of the cabinet build. Detailed video sequences and methodology on how to build this display cabinet are included with purchase of cabinet build class.
– Cabinet Build Class can be Streamed or Downloaded
– Separate Introduction module
– 16 video modules. Design, veneering, joinery, back panel
– Video modules are followed in any order. Stopped, repeated
– All 16 video modules (2.7 hours) included in single $29 price
Total Cost: $29 (Stream or Download)
Purchase corresponding display cabinet plan. Over 35 detailed computer designed illustrations (CAD) on building display cabinet included in purchase of plan. Includes detailed photos and information.
$16 value with purchase of a class or course.