Cabinet Build Class
Cabinet Build Class
This video class covers the design and build of a striking Krenov-inspired display cabinet. The contemporary styled display cabinet features veneered sides and doors. The veneers selected are highly figured although they can be substituted with alternative veneers. James Krenov is widely known for his classic cabinets on stand as well as the incredible attention to detail he brought to furniture making. Krenov also brought a unique philosophy and vision to furniture making. A large part of this veneered display cabinet has been created using an assortment of hand tools although some machinery is used in the initial wood preparation stage. Follow along as I describe the steps involved in creating a masterpiece veneered cabinet on stand.
The following topics are covered in this 16 part design and build class:
1. Inspiration and design of the display cabinet
2. Overview of components of the cabinet
3. Wood selection and resawing veneers for cabinet
4. Advantages of using veneers over solid wood
5. Detailed info on creating + using resawn veneers
6. The process of applying veneers to sides + doors
7. Use bake-ins to create panels with hardwood edges
8. Hardwood edging and the veneer press
9. The veneer press and joinery used in the cabinet
10. Card scrapers and use of a shop-made drilling guide
11. Dowel drilling guide in-depth
12. The case construction process
13. Frame and panel construction of back panel
14. Back panel detail and installation
15. Final case assembly of display cabinet
16. Installation process of knife hinges for doors
Each downloadable video addresses one topic of the cabinet build. The design process and methodology behind the build are discussed. This is not simply a class on how to build a cabinet on stand. The class will inform you of a similar design process that James Krenov used in his own work. As an ardent follower of James Krenov, the techniques I use in this cabinet build closely follow those of James Krenov. Discussions and demonstrations describe how the design of the display cabinet originated and design considerations of its build. Info on wood selection and preparation as well as the joinery used is covered in detail. Tips and techniques from several years of creating this style of cabinet are shared in this class. The process of creating and applying veneers is covered as well as info on installation of knife hinges.
Includes 16 separate video modules. Each video module addresses a component of the cabinet build. Detailed video sequences and methodology on how to build this display cabinet are included with purchase of cabinet build class.
– Separate Introduction module
– 16 video modules. Design, veneering, joinery, back panel
– Video modules are followed in any order. Stopped, repeated
– All 16 video modules (2.7 hours) included in single $40 price
Total Cost: $40 (all included)
Purchase corresponding display cabinet plan. Over 35 detailed computer designed illustrations (CAD) on building display cabinet included in purchase of plan. Includes detailed photos and information.
$18 value with purchase of a class or course.